Town of Ajax Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Town of Ajax volunteer! Whether you are looking to fulfill community hours for high school, gain specific work experience, make a new friend, or simply enjoy giving back to our community, our volunteer program encourages participation by individuals, families, organized groups and businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
There are just three easy steps to joining the volunteer team:
- Complete an online application to create your volunteer account.
- Monitor your volunteer account for training sessions and upcoming volunteer opportunities.
- Sign up for volunteer shifts and be a part of the excitement!
What are the requirements to become a volunteer?
General volunteer requirements include the following:
- Volunteers must be 14 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Volunteers under 18 years of age must complete and submit a Parent / Guardian waiver. Please upload completed waivers directly to your volunteer account.
- Volunteers 16 years of age and older will be required to submit a satisfactory Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Volunteers must complete a Town of Ajax volunteer training session.
Please Note: Some volunteer opportunities may have more specific requirements, and/or include an interview or additional training component. Additional requirements will be noted in the volunteer opportunity description.
What types of volunteer opportunities are available?
There are a number of ways to get involved in our community, and new opportunities appear on an ongoing basis:
Aquatic volunteers will assist during swim programs. This is an opportunity to gain workplace experience and further develop your communication and instructing skills.
- Volunteers must be 15 years of age and older;
- Current Red Cross Assistant Instructors Online Certificate;
- Current Bronze Cross;
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR B
Community Recreation Programs
The Town of Ajax offers a wide variety of recreation programs for individuals of all ages with varying skills, interests and abilities! Community Recreation Program volunteers have the option to assist in a weekly seasonal recreation program or a summer camp to gain new skills, connect with their community, and have a fun and rewarding experience!
Please Note: Volunteers interested in Summer Camp & Playground volunteer opportunities will be required to attend a specialized training workshop held in June.
IMPACT Ajax Team
Do you want to make an IMPACT in our community? Join the IMPACT Ajax Team! IMPACT Volunteers help to:
- Deliver Town of Ajax festivals & events (e.g. Canada Day, Pumpkinville, Winterfest, Santa Claus Parade, New Years Eve, etc.)
- Support local neighbourhood initiatives, gatherings & events (e.g. BBQ, picnics, concerts, movie nights);
- Support Ajax-serving community groups and organizations deliver innovative projects (e.g. educational forums / conferences / workshops, wellness fairs, outreach & awareness initiatives, community programs, etc.)
Volunteers can choose from six different IMPACT Ajax teams:
Ignite Team - Sparking Connections between People!
Ignite Volunteers create community buzz and excitement! They keep our community connected by spreading the word about events & programs and build relationships between residents and community members. Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: information / registration booths; conducting feedback surveys; event/reception greeters; flyer drops, etc.
Muscle Team - Getting it Done! Making it Happen!
Muscle Volunteers are the building blocks of the community! They lay the foundation for successful events & programs by ensuring equipment and supplies are in the right place at the right time for maximum community enjoyment! Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: serving refreshments / BBQ stations; conducting inventories; managing lines at events; setting up event game / activity stations; monitoring parking at events; etc.
Play Team - Generating Happiness and Smiles!
Play Volunteers inspire the community to harness their inner child! They create PLAY opportunities by running children's games and activities while sparking fun, friendship and imagination! Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: arts & crafts stations; games & activity stations; monitoring inflatables; sport & recreation programs; etc.
Admin Team - Connecting the Dots!
Admin Volunteers bridge the gaps in our community! They connect and support our community, working side-by-side with neighbourhoods and organizations to help deliver innovative programs, services, gatherings and events! Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: liaising with community organizations and neighbourhoods; providing administrative support to funded projects; attending meetings and training sessions; facilitating volunteer training; conducting project evaluations; etc.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older;
- An interview is required for this role.
Create Team - Imagination at Work!
Create Volunteers capture community excitement! They document moments and memories through photography and newsletter articles, as well as create innovative ways to promote upcoming happenings in the Ajax community. Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: photographing festivals, gatherings, events and programs; contributing articles to the volunteer newsletter; assisting to create promotional materials (e.g. flyers, invitations, brochures); etc.
Tactical Team - Taking Care of Business!
Tactical Volunteers are community leaders! They help to ensure programs, gatherings and events run smoothly and that volunteers are supervised, supported, and working safely. Typical tasks include, but are not limited to: supervising a team of IMPACT Ajax volunteers; signing volunteers in and out and arranging break schedules at gatherings & events; point of contact for program / event organizers; etc.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older;
- An interview is required for this role.
The Town of Ajax encourages people of all abilities to participate in our recreational programs and activities. Individuals with a special need are able to access one-to-one support provided by both staff and volunteers. Inclusion volunteers will work one-on-one with an individual with special needs in a recreational setting (e.g. weekly program or summer camp).
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older;
- An understanding of physical barriers, behavioural and developmental disabilities, and visual / hearing impairments is an asset.
St. Francis Centre
The St. Francis Centre is Ajax's centre for community arts, culture and heritage! It is a state-of-the-art performance and reception space with events running monthly, including, but not limited to: live shows, family events, and theatre and musical performances. Volunteers are needed to support arts & cultural programming by assisting in roles such as ticket taker, usher, refreshments, etc.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age and older;
- Smart Serve and Safe Food Handling certification considered an asset
How do I sign up for volunteer training?
Volunteer training takes place four times a year, prior to each season (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer):
Volunteers will sign up for training online directly from their volunteer account. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Training workshops are released for registration approximately one month prior to the training date. If a volunteer misses their scheduled training date, or creates a volunteer account mid-season, they will have to wait until the next program season to sign up for a training workshop.
How do I obtain a Criminal Reference Check?
Volunteers 16 years of age or older can apply for a volunteer criminal reference check with vulnerable sector screening at their local Durham Regional Police Station. Volunteers who do not live in Durham Region need to apply in the municipality in which they live. Criminal Reference Checks are at a cost to the volunteer. Once a volunteer completes their training, the Town of Ajax will provide a letter stating the applicant's intent to volunteer with the Town, which allows them to access a discounted rate for the criminal reference check.
What if I want to volunteer in multiple areas?
All volunteers will complete the same online application form to create their account, regardless of area of interest. The only exception is Aquatic Volunteers; a separate application form is required for this area of interest.
Volunteers will initially sign up for training in their specific area of interest, for example, Community Recreation Program Training, St. Francis Centre Training, IMPACT Ajax Training, etc. All training sessions will cover the same mandatory training topics (e.g. Health & Safety, AODA, policies and procedures, etc.), plus specific information related to the volunteer position. However, if a volunteer wants to switch positions, they will need to attend the role specific portion of the training (approximately 1-1.5 hrs, depending on volunteer role). All volunteer training sessions are eligible for community volunteer hours.
I am ready to volunteer!
Are you ready to join the Town of Ajax volunteer team? The application process will take no more than 10 minutes. Before you begin, please make sure all your documents are ready to upload:
- Completed Parent / Guardian Waiver (applicants under 18 years of age)
- First Aid and CPR Certifications (if applicable)
- Red Cross Assistant Instructors Online Certificate (aquatic applicants only)
- Bronze Cross Certification (aquatic applicants only)
- Smart Serve (St. Francis applicants only)
- Safe Food Handling (St. Francis applicants only)
Complete and submit an online application.
Aquatic Volunteer application.
The Town of Ajax acknowledges the generous support of VanDusen Chevrolet, presenting sponsor of the volunteer program.