Severe thunderstorms can leave residential homes and neighborhoods without power due to downed trees and power lines.

Ajax Fire provides the following fire safety tips during a power outage:

  • Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles or hurricane lamps.
  • Propane and charcoal barbecues as well as emergency power generators are for outdoor use only. The exhaust from these devices creates carbon monoxide. DO NOT use them inside your house, garage, shed or any structure.
  • Electrically connected smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms that do not have battery back-up will not work when the power is out.

Quote

“We’ve had an early taste of summer this past week with high temperatures and humidity. There’s the potential for thunderstorms and power outages. If the power does go out, please remember to use safe sources of light such as flashlights and battery operated lanterns instead of candles.”
-Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Town of Ajax

Quick Facts

  • Prepare and practice a home fire escape plan.
  • Working smoke alarms are required to be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. This includes cottages, cabins and recreational vehicles.
  • Carbon monoxide alarm(s) are required to be installed adjacent to all sleeping areas in dwellings with a fuel-burning appliance or fireplace, or attached garage.

Learn More