With the arrival of colder weather, Ajax Fire and Emergency Services is reminding building owners, landlords and residents of heating safety tips. It is important to ensure your indoor heating appliances are working properly.

Heating safety tips and reminders:

  • Furnaces and fireplaces should be inspected and cleaned by a qualified professional.
  • Make sure fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Residents using space heaters should ensure a one meter clearance around the unit.
  • Turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
  • Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.
  • Inspect for cracked or damaged cords, broken plugs, or loose connections.

Quote

“With winter just around the corner, it’s important to make sure our home heating systems are working properly. It’s important to maintain furnaces and fireplaces for fire and carbon monoxide safety. Please remember working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms will provide early warning that can save your life in a fire or CO emergency”. - Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Town of Ajax

Quick Facts

  • Heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in Ontario.
  • Carbon monoxide alarm(s) are required to be installed adjacent to all sleeping areas in dwellings with a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace or attached storage garage.
  • Smoke alarms should be tested monthly and replaced after 10 years.
  • Batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms should be changed at least once per year.

Learn More