During the Victoria Day Holiday, Ajax Fire and Emergency Services is asking residents to refrain from using fireworks or attending informal neighbourhood displays. Instead, attend professional fireworks events that have been planned throughout the Region.

Every year we see burn injuries and property damage as a result of the misuse of fireworks. If you still choose to have a family fireworks display, please review and follow the Town’s Fireworks By-law.

Tips and Reminders

  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.

Quote

“Fireworks are extremely dangerous and should be left to trained professionals. This recommendation is made to minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries that can result from the misuse of fireworks. Please remember that although they are available to be purchased, it doesn’t mean they are safe.” – Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Town of Ajax   

Quick Facts

  • Hand-held sparklers can reach temperatures as hot as 1200°F (648.9°C). Glass melts at 900°F (source: National Fire Protection Association).
  • Sparklers burn at extremely hot temperatures and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns.
  • As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should immediately be soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention if necessary.

Learn More