If you are a homeowner and you have questions, such as what types of home projects require a building permit, what by-laws to keep in mind before you build, and how to have your utilities hooked up - the Town of Ajax is here to help.

Construction that Requires a Building Permit

Before starting your project check if you require a building permit. If your project does not require a building permit, you must still comply with the requirements of the Zoning-By-law.

  • Adding a bedroom
  • Addition to a building
  • Attached garage, carport or other roof structure of any size
  • Detached garage, carport, shed or roof structure more than 10 square metres in building area
  • Accessory apartment
  • Decks or platforms more than 0.6 metre above grade or attached to another structure
  • Demolition of a structure greater than 10 square metres in building area
  • Excavating/underpinning a basement or crawl space
  • Basement finishing
  • Industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-residential construction, alterations, or changes of use
  • Increasing the size of an existing opening
  • Changing the heating system or altering ductwork
  • Plumbing additions and alterations
  • Reinsulating
  • Removal of a loadbearing wall
  • Residential dwelling unit
  • Retaining wall greater than 1 metre in height
  • Septic system installations and alterations (Requires a building permit through Durham Region)
  • Signs, permanent
  • Site servicing (water or sewer lines) for all building types
  • Solar panels that are mounted to a building or have an area of 5 square metres or greater
  • Tent or group of tents more than 60 square metres in aggregate ground area, attached to a building, or constructed within 3 metre of any structure
  • Retrofit an existing accessory apartment under Section 9.8 of the Ontario Building Code.
    (This only applies to accessory apartments built before July 14, 1994.)
  • Woodstove or wood-burning fireplace

Building Guides

We have created guides for the most common residential building permit applications to help residents understand the building permit application process. Each guide provides an application form, documents checklist and sample drawings. The sample drawings are intended to be used for reference only and cannot be submitted with your application.

Residential Building Permits

The following information is required when submitting a permit application for a new dwelling unit or addition.

Designer Requirements

All construction drawings for the permit application are to be prepared by the property owner, a qualified designer, architect or professional engineer, or a combination thereof. Designs outside the scope of Part 9, Division B of the Ontario Building Code (OBC) may require review by a professional engineer.

HVAC drawings are required to be prepared by a qualified designer, architect or professional engineer.

The OBC requires qualified and registered designers who review and take responsibility for design activities to include the following information on any documents submitted to the Chief Building Official:

  • The name and building code identification number (BCIN) of the registered firm.
  • A statement that the qualified person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
  • The name and BCIN of the qualified person.
  • The signature of the qualified person.

Drawing Requirements

The following is a list of drawings and documents that may be required to accompany applications for permits according to the scope of work:

  • Lot grading plan
  • Foundation plan
  • Floor plans/framing plans
  • Roof plan
  • Roof truss layout and individual truss data sheets
  • Building Elevations
  • Sections and details
  • HVAC drawings and calculations
  • Manufactured products specifications and approvals (i.e. Exterior insulation and finish system, guards, etc.)

All drawings shall be fully dimensioned, drawn to a minimum scale of 3/16”=1'-0”. Note all sizes and types of construction materials to be used and their respective locations, finishes to all walls, ceilings and floor, and all existing and proposed fire separations.

Additional Information

The following is required for the building permit application process:

Apron (Driveway) Widening and Curb Cuts 

UPDATE: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town has suspended all review and processing of Apron (Driveway) Widening and Curb Cut applications. The Town will begin accepting these applications when service levels return to normal.

Apron widenings (also referred to as driveway widenings) are permitted within the Town of Ajax, if it complies with the subject property's current zoning requirements. The maximum driveway width and curb width are regulated under the Town of Ajax Zoning By-law.

Planning, Transportation and Engineering Services provides approval to applications. This process takes 10 business days for review. Incomplete applications may take longer.  Approved curb cut applications will require an additional 10-15 business days for work to commence by Operations and Environmental Services.

Applicable fees are provided below in accordance with Schedule D of the Town's General Fees and Charges By-law.

  • $125.00 Apron Widening application fee (Non-refundable)
  • Curb cuts (the actual cutting of the curb is done by Town of Ajax Operations Services)
    • Less than 4.0 metres $175.00
    • Each additional metre over 4.0 metres $40.00
 Conditions for Municipal Approval
  • Widening towards the exterior of the lot must maintain a minimum of 0.60 metre clearance from the edge of the driveway to the property line.
  • Any widening which will encroach beyond an intersection curb radius or into a daylight triangle will not be permitted.
  • Any requests for driveway widening not in conformity with the requirements of the Town of Ajax Zoning By-law will require a Minor Variance Application to the Committee of Adjustment.  Minor Variance Applications are only permitted on private property, and not within the Town's boulevards.
  • Minimum distance from the edge of a driveway to any aboveground utility or structure (streetlight, hydro transformer, Bell/TV pedestals, or hydrants) located within the boulevard is to be 1.0 metre.
  • Driveways and curb cuts must maintain a clearance of 2.0 metre from a municipal tree less than 40 centimetre in diameter, and 3.0 metre from a municipal tree greater than 40 centimetre in diameter (as per By-law 138-2006, as amended).
  • Circular driveways and/or secondary driveways are not permitted.
  • Decorative walkways that are directly adjacent to a driveway and are the same grade as the driveway is considered driveway, regardless of the material, and must comply with the requirements of the Town of Ajax Zoning By-law.
 Submission Material
  • One (1) copy of the Apron Widening and Curb Cut Application.
  • One copy of the proposed apron widening and curb cut concept. The concept plan shall show the dimensions of the subject lands, the location, size and type of all building and structure on the subject lands and existing and proposed apron dimensions.
  • If you are within an unassumed subdivision, you will require a clearance letter from the developer/builder for apron widening and curb cuts.
 Other Approvals
If construction materials used for the proposed works will be stored on the municipal right-of-way (ex. bouelvard and/or travelled portion of the road), the following shall apply:
  • Road Occupancy Permit and required application fee (Non-refundable).
  • A liability insurance certificate for a minimum amount of $2,000,000.00 in a form approved by the Town, naming the Town as an additional insurer.

For more information regarding Road Occupancy Permits, please contact Operations and Environmental Services at 905-683-2951.

Locate Utilities - Call Before You Dig

Digging into an underground utility can be dangerous and have costly consequences. Even if you are just digging with a shovel, be sure to get locates in advance. Contact Ontario One Call for the location of buried pipes and cables prior to any excavation work.

Request your free locate online at ON 1 Call or call 1-800-400-2255.