Poisonous substances can be found in a variety of places – even inside our homes. According to the Ontario Poison Centre, the most common types of products involved in poison exposures are over-the-counter and prescription medications, household cleaners and personal care products such as mouthwash, toothpaste and nail polish.

Many poisonings occur because products are not used or stored properly. Make your home safer by knowing what products in and around your home are poisonous and keeping all potential poisons locked up high, out of sight and out of reach.

Children are particularly vulnerable to poisoning because of their small body size and lower weight. Products such as cannabis edibles, which often resemble common snacks (such as cookies, brownies and gummy candies) are easy for a young child to mistakenly consume.

“Cannabis products should be in a child-resistant container or package, stored in a locked compartment, drawer, or cupboard. They should be out of sight and out of reach.” - Pamela Fuselli, President and CEO of Parachute

Quick Tips

  • Store all potential poisons locked up high, out of sight and out of reach of children.
  • Keep all medication in its original, labelled and child-resistant packaging.
  • Always read the label and check the dosage each time you give or take medicine.
  • Only take medications that are prescribed for you.
  • Keep purses/handbags up high and out of reach of young children. There are many items commonly carried in purses that can be poisonous (e.g. nicotine products, pills, hand sanitizers, cosmetics).

Learn More