Ajax Fire warns residents of the dangers of not extinguishing smoking and cannabis materials properly

On Sunday, September 13th, at approximately 9:13 a.m., Ajax Fire responded to a report of a garage on fire in the area of Rossland Rd. and Harwood Ave. Upon arrival, it was discovered that there was an active fire inside the garage, and crews began working to extinguish it.

Fortunately, there were no injuries. The estimated loss is over $100,000.

Quote

“The incident that occurred in Ajax on Sunday morning is an important reminder to all residents that if you smoke (cigarettes or cannabis), please smoke outside and make sure you completely extinguish your smoking materials. Smoking under the influence of alcohol or cannabis is very dangerous. You may become drowsy and your reaction time will be slower.”

- Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Town of Ajax

Quick Tips

  • If you smoke, use only fire-safe cigarettes.
  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Properly extinguish smoking materials in a non-combustible container that is filled with either sand or water.
  • Refrain from smoking while under the influence of alcohol or cannabis.
  • Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches and other smoking materials up high out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
  • Use a deep, sturdy ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
  • Do not discard smoking materials in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
  • Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.

Learn More

Media Contact

Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, 905-619-2529, ext. 6056